Creating and Editing Item Records
Creating Temporary Item Records
Modifying Item Records for Material Transferred to LSF
· Single items and collections without finding aids. Create item records for all containers, including temporary containers identified by letter and containing printed material, though these containers are not counted in the physical description. Reading room and LSF circulation are managed via barcodes and statistical category restrictions in item records.
· Off site in-process collection with existing preliminary catalog record.
Do not create item record for:
· Collections with finding aids. Barcodes are maintained in ArchivesSpace. Reading room and LSF circulation are managed via item barcodes and restriction fields in ArchivesSpace. As of 2015 July, implementation of this policy is postponed pending enhancement of Aeon for recognition of barcodes in ArchivesSpace.
See also training documentation:
· Manuscript Unit Sharepoint/Barcoding: Barcoding
· Manuscript Unit website/Tools: Retrospective Barcoding
Creating and Editing Item Records
Verify the following fields supplied from the Bibliographic and MFHD records; these fields may be corrected by editing the Bibliographic or MFHD record:
Field Supplied from
Title Bib 245 ‡a
Location MFHD 852 ‡b
Call # MFHD 852 ‡h and ‡i
Perm Loc MFHD 852 ‡b (displays as Detailed Holdings/Location in the OPAC)
Verify fields supplied with defaults; these must be edited manually:
Temp Loc blank
Temp Type blank
Verify fields set in preferences; these may be changed in preferences, or edited manually:
Item Type nocirc
Enter using scanner:
Enter manually, using the following standard terms.
Multiple containers: include a sequential container number.
Single container: use the appropriate term without a container number.
Do not use abbreviations.
single manuscript box, custom box, or portfolio
· Box [#]
numbered manuscript box, custom box, or portfolio
· Box [#] (Oversize)
oversize manuscript box, custom box, or portfolio
· [#] (Art)
material with location listed in Artstore database, including framed storage, object bins, and stationary glass shelving
· [#] (Broadside)
· [#] (Broadside oversize)
broadside folder stored in super broadside drawers
· [#] (Cold storage)
material with location listed in Coldstorage database
· [#] (File)
single item housed in two or more folders, shelved in vertical file
· [#] (File oversize)
single item housed in two or more folders, all or part shelved in oversize box
· [#] (Record album storage)
· [#] (Roll)
Box 3 (Oversize)
Required for containers that have donor restrictions, are restricted fragile, or are in process offsite; generates a restricted notice in Aeon. Restrictions must also be noted in 506 fields.
Open the "item statistical categories" window by clicking on the middle icon in the lower left corner of the item record. The icon is identified by roll over text "edit item statistics."
Highlight a category in the "statistical categories list" and click the blue up arrow to add it to "statistical categories."
Repeat for any additional categories. A restricted notice will display in Aeon for each category added; multiple categories display in a system-supplied order.
When all categories have been entered, click OK.
Optionally, use File>Pick and Scan to update statistical categories for a large number of item records.
Use the following categories:
· RestrictedSpecColl (donor-imposed restriction)
Aeon display: Restricted material. This item may not be requested. For further information consult the appropriate curator or Access Services.
· RestrictedFragileSpecColl (restricted fragile)
Aeon display: Restricted fragile material. This item may not be requested. Reference copies may be available: consult Access Services. For further information consult the appropriate curator.
· InProcessSpecColl (restricted in-process)
Aeon display: In process material. This item may not be requested. This collection is closed to readers temporarily, and will reopen when processing is complete. For more information, please consult the Closed Collections Schedule on the Beinecke Web site.
· RestrictedCurApprSpecColl (restricted unless approved by curator)
Aeon display: Restricted material. This item may not be requested except with curator approval. For further information consult the appropriate curator or Access Services.
· ColdStorageBrbl (restricted cold storage)
Aeon display: Restricted fragile material in cold storage. This item may not be requested. Reference copies may be available: consult Access Services. For further information consult the appropriate curator.
Verify default: not charged.
During transfer to LSF, transfer staff may add an "in transit" status, resulting in the following OPAC display:
"[container #] In Transit [date in transit code was set]"
To restore default, open the "item status" window by clicking on the left icon in the lower left corner of the item record. The icon is identified by roll over text "edit item status."
Highlight "in transit" in the "status" list; click the red down arrow to delete it; and click OK.
Deleting "in transit" status also deletes its OPAC display.
Optionally, use File>Pick and Scan to update status for a large number of item records.
Do not edit any other fields.
· To create multiple item records attached to a single MFHD record, either create each item record individually or use Record>Make a Copy.
· When copying item records:
· Edit the container number in each Enum field.
· Edit restrictions in item statistics as necessary.
· All copied records will remain open until closed by the cataloger. Records can be closed individually or all records can be closed by choosing File>Close All.
Relinking item records to a different MFHD:
· Open item record.
· Select Record/Relink to a different holding.
· Enter the record id number of the new MFHD.
Creating Temporary Item Records
For closed collections, update or create a temporary MFHD, with a single item record, as a placeholder for restricted access:
Suppress the final MFHD, with complete item records, pending transfer to BRBL or LSF.
During the transfer process, unsuppress the final MFHD and delete the temporary MFHD and item record.
Modifying Item Records for Material Going to LSF
Fields are edited in the following order, by the staff members indicated:
Archivist, when identifying and logging materials for transfer:
· Change MFHD location code to the appropriate LSF code (see list under MFHD 852 ‡b).
· The OPAC will continue to display the BRBL location in the Item record Perm Loc field.
BRBL staff managing LSF transfers, during preparation for transfer to LSF:
· Change item record Item Type to: lsfr
LSF staff, during LSF accessioning:
· Change item record Perm Loc to the LSF location code in the MFHD.
· The OPAC will now display LSF as the location.
Optionally, use File>Pick and Scan to update "permanent location" and "permanent type" for a large number of item records.